The day has come and gone. I turned 30 early this week–a milestone I was very much looking forward to. It was a simple day, but special and I spent it with a few folks who mean a lot to me doing some of the things I love most. It was the first solid, uncomplicated birthday I’ve had in a while. I’m hoping for more like it in my future. But I digress…
I didn’t not accomplish all of my 30x30s. Only half of them, and truthfully, that’s okay. Because of the list, I got to do a lot of things I never would have before, but my experiences over the past few years certainly aren’t limited to the list either. Below is the final tally:
Stay awake for 24 hours– Feb 2010 Freelance as a day job– May 2012 (and still going in July 2014!)
- Get my motorcycle license
Sleep under the stars sans tent– Do two half-events make a full event? Feb 2012 slept in hammock outside on a beach in Colombia (but technically, there was a building over me, so no direct star-gazing), and in April 2014, I went “camping” with my sister and her family at Disney World. Visit a farm sanctuary– Jan 2013 Volunteer with Habitat for Humanity (goal change Jan 2013: Volunteer with a worthy organization of my choosing.)– May 2012. Hello, Kings County Tennis League.
- 10-Day Master Cleanse Fast (goal change Jan 2013: Need to find replacement, don’t think this is healthy.)
- Get a tattoo
- Integrate yoga into my life (goal change Jan 2013: Need to find replacement, merging this with martial arts/boxing.)
Watch a roller derby game– October 2010 Hang my artwork in a gallery– April 2012
- Learn a martial arts or boxing or yoga.
- Design a t-shirt
Watch all the Back to the Future– March 2010 Plant a tree– May 2013
- Master gnocchi making (goal change Jan 2013: Master cooking.)
- Visit all 50 states. 13 down, 37 to go. – This is the other big thing on the 30×30 list. 37 states is actually a lot to do. 7+ states each year. UPDATE: My finaly tally was 36 states plus Washington D.C. Not bad, that’s 23 states in under four years.
Complete a half-marathon– January 2012
- Apprentice with a photographer
Go to the U.S. Open– August 2012 Go on a vineyards tour– September 2010
- Bike the MD-PA trail (goal change Jan 2013: Or any long, long stretch of multi-state trails.)
- Find a creative collaborator / partner in crime
Go to the firing range– September 2010
- Have writing published
- Be a guest speaker/lecturer
- Bet a $100 at a roulette table – In honor of R. It seems only fitting. Except, you know, with less money.
Payoff my student loan– February 2011
- Make/sew a quilt
Get a pet– November 2012
Travel Plans: I separated these from the 30×30, because big travel plans sometimes involve more money, time, etc. So as long as these happen sometime, I’d be pretty happy.
- Visit Scotland (and Ireland if time.)
- Visit the Great Wall of China
- Ride a wild elephant (thus go somewhere where that is possible.)
- See the Northern Lights